interactive map
Bampton Methodist Church
Bridge Street, Bampton, OX18 2HA
Contact: Rev'd Fred Ireland
01993 867301
  • Feb 20, 11:00 am - Ms Margaret Broadberry
  • Feb 27, 11:00 am - Rev'd Richard Donoghue
  • Mar 6, 11:00 am - Rev'd Fred Ireland (Holy Communion)
  • Mar 13, 11:00 am - Mr David Sarbutts

Bampton Church is a very warm and welcoming Church and our Church Service on Sundays is from 11:00am to 12:00pm and is followed by a cup of tea or coffee and a chat. First Sunday of the month is when children attend for the start of the service and then go to the Windrush room for play and activities, in their own Children's corner and Club area.

The Drop In is open most Mondays, serving a light lunch between 11:45am till 1:00pm, donations gratefully received. Volunteers are desperately needed to help us continue to run this facility on a regular weekly basis. If you can assist in this very vital to the Community cause, please contact Hazel Shaw on 01993 850016. Singing for Fun occurs at 8pm on most Tuesdays, words provided, cost £3.00 per session. Money raised will be shared between the Chapel Development Fund and one other selected charity.

For any other events see fliers and posters in the usual places. Please ask a Steward for details of the House Group meetings which take place on the 2nd Monday in the month.


The foundations of this Chapel were laid in September 1891 by a group of Methodist Trustees who were meeting in the disused workhouse at Weald and which included members of the Early family of Witney.

The building was completed and opened on the 25th March 1892 and members have worshipped here ever since.

Membership fell in the 1960's to the extent that it was thought closure was necessary. However, owing to the tenacity (some would say obstinacy) of a local farmer, the chapel was greatly supported and closure was strongly resisted. This paid dividends in the 1970's when the congregation once more increased.

In the mid 1990's the present membership started looking at the possibility of adding an annexe to the rear of the Chapel. It was planned to increase the facilities and further enhance the weekly drop-in lunch area for some of the older members of the village and surrounding community.

After considerable fund raising this came to fruition when a local architect and firm of builders were engaged in 2008/2009 to build the annexe as it can be seen today.

The Chapel has a current membership of 29 and a regular congregation of around 30 people worship here on Sundays.

© 2016 - 2022 West Oxfordshire